- After submission of application, am I permitted to change my GATE Examination Paper and Examination City?
Requests for change of GATE Examination paper after the submission of Application Form will not be considered. However, requests for change of examination city will be accepted till a prescribed date and a fee of Rs. 400-/- has to be to be paid in the form of a demand draft in favour of "Chairman GATE <Year of Examination>″. Please send this DD to the Zonal office where you sent the application form.
- Can I use one email address to fill multiple application forms?
NO, one email address can be used for only one application form.
- Why should I choose two examination cities?
Generally, you will be allotted a centre in the examination city of your first choice. Only in cases where it becomes difficult to accommodate you in the examination city of your first choice, your second choice will be considered.
- After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps upto PDF application form generation in ONLINE Application Process, you can only download the application form and cannot modify the data. Hence you need to be very careful while entering the data. You may also save a partially filled application and login in again at a later point in time to complete and submit the application.
- I have missed to take a print of my ONLINE application at the end of my application process. How will I get access to it?
You can login using Login id (email) and password you had set up and take a printout.
- My power/internet connection failed during application process, what do I do?
If you have clicked on "Save" during application process, the data you entered up to that time has been stored online. Simply login back to the GATE Online Applicant Interface and continue the application process.
- When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging in at the GATE Online Applicant Interface.
- How do I make the fee payment for GATE 2013 examination?
You can make the payment during the ONLINE application process by choosing one of the following options:
- Online Payment: Netbanking through the payment gateway.
- Challan Payment: Payment by cash at any branch of Canara Bank or State Bank of India.
- I want to pay online by my credit/debit card, but I don't see that option!
You can only use internet banking (netbanking) facilities for online payment. Credit /debit cards will not be accepted.
- My power/internet connection failed during online payment. What do I do?
When you can get back online, first check the status of your payment on the GATE application website.
- If the payment was received by GATE, you can continue the process of printing the application form.
- If the payment was not received by GATE, you have to start with the payment step again (choice of Online or Challan), to complete payment.
- My netbanking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back ?
This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Please check your bank account after 48 hours. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE from this account will automatically be returned back (credited) to the same bank account.
- My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
This happened because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). As soon as possible, you MUST initiate a fresh payment process on the GATE application website, and make the payment again. The money that was debited (taken out) from your account the first time, will be credited (put back) to your bank account within 48 hours. You will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
- Do I have to send the printout of the application form?
YES. At the end of the Application process a PDF file of the application is generated. You have to affix your Photograph, Signature and enclose other documents along with this print out and send to the concerned GATE office. This is REQUIRED in addition to the uploading of the image files.
- I have attached the documents online, do I have to send the hard copy as well ?
NO, you need not submit the hard copy of supporting documents to GATE office.
- Should I attest the photograph for application form?
NO. Photographs must not be attested in the application form or foruploading. You must bring a valid photo ID card to the examination center.
- You are asking only the SC/ST/PD candidates to enclose the category certificate. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to enclose the category certificate too?
NO. OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates do not have to enclose the category certificate since their application fee is same as that of the general category candidates. However, in the application, you can indicate the category to which you belong to. You need to produce the category certificate only to the admitting institute at the time of admission.
- When will I receive my admit card?
Admit card can only be downloaded from the GATE Online Applicant Interface. Sending Admit cards by post has been discontinued.
- Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
No. Bring the admit card at the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification. ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. Photocopies of the original identification document are not acceptable. Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.
DURING THE EXAMINATION
- Will I be provided with any white paper for rough work and calculations during the test?
For OFFLINE Examination, the question paper itself contains some blank sheets on which you can do the rough work. Rough work cannot be done on any other paper/sheet as no additional paper will be provided during the test. For ONLINE Examination, a notepad provided to the candidate can be used to do the rough work.
- Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test?
NO. Candidates will NOT be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. For OFFLINE exam, candidates are allowed to leave the hall only after the Optical Response Sheet (ORS) from all the candidates in the examination hall have been collected and accounted for. For ONLINE examination, candidates are allowed to leave the lab only after the closure of the test at the scheduled end of examination in a session.
- What items are not permitted to be brought with me inside the examination venue?
Electronic diary, mobile phone, and any such electronic gadgets, blank papers, clip boards and log-tables will NOT be allowed in the examination venue.
- Can I use a calculator during the exam?
YES. You are permitted to use a scientific calculator without data connectivity. If you bring any item that is not permissible inside the examination venue, you will have to keep it at the test center at your own risk.
- Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone?
No such arrangements will be possible at the test center.
- Is the use of pencils to darken the bubbles in the answer sheet permitted?
NO. The use of pencils to darken the bubbles in the answer sheet has been discontinued. Candidates should use only black ink ball point pen for darkening of the bubbles in the answer sheet. Since bubbles darkened by the black ink ball point pen cannot be erased, candidates should darken the bubbles in the answer sheet very carefully.